Battlefieldtours by bus
The Freedom Museum organises various battlefield tours by bus in the Nijmegen area along the landing sites and monuments of Operation Market Garden, the largest airborne operation ever. These tours can be expanded with a tour of the battlefields of the Rhineland Offensive (Operation Veritable), the largest military attack in history that was deployed from Dutch territory.
It is Sunday 17 September 1944, the Netherlands is still occupied. As a gift from heaven, during Operation Market Garden around Groesbeek and Nijmegen on this Sunday 8,000 American paratroopers jump to liberate the Netherlands. At the same time, the advance of the British ground forces from Belgium, through Brabant, towards Nijmegen and Arnhem begins. The aim is to conquer the bridges over the waterways in the southeastern of the Netherlands in one quick attack. Although Arnhem was a bridge too far, the Nijmegen area was liberated and this marked the start of the liberation of the Netherlands and Western Europe from February 1945 with the large Rhineland offensive (Operation Veritable).
We offer the following battlefield tours:
- Tour 1: Operation Market Garden, in and around Groesbeek (1,5 hours)
- Tour 2: Battle for Nijmegen and Arnhem (2,5 / 3 hours)
- Tour 3: Operation Veritable / Rhineland Offensive (3 hours)
We also offer tours for groups of veterans, historians or soldiers in training. We can make combinations of the aforementioned tours or highlight certain parts so that we can match your wishes as much as possible.
There are different ways you can book a guided battlefield tour for a group with us:
1. As part of a package deal
- For all the different options we ask you to check out our group package deals.
2. Without a package deal but in combination with a visit to the Freedom Museum
- 1. Entrance museum € 14.00 pp: for groups of 10 people or more;
- 2. Entrance museum € 7.00 pp: groups of soldiers, students, veterans, 10 people or more;
- 3. Battlefieldtourguide € 50,- per 1,5 hours (excl. bus). Per bus 1 guide is needed.*
3. Without a package deal or a visit to the Freedom Museum
- 1. Battlefieldtourguide € 50,- per 1,5 hours (excl. bus). Per bus 1 guide is needed.*
* Click here for special fees for for tour operators and bus companies.
The prices are based on your own bus transport. However, the Freedom Museum can also arrange bus transport for you. You will see the corresponding prices in the overview below.
Prices bus transportation:
|Number of people||Cost|
|10 - 19||€ 260,-|
|20 - 25||€ 300,-|
|26 - 50||€ 380,-|
|51 - 60||€ 425,-|
|61 - 86||€ 500,-|
- These are the rates for 1.5 hours regardless of which day.
- Extra hours: € 55,- per hour.
- Please note that a seat on the bus must also be reserved for the guide. This could mean that you have to make reservations for a larger bus.
For more information about the Battlefield tours you can contact the Group Reservations department via email@example.com. You can of course also fill out the contact form on our website.